Thursday, June 2, 2011

My alternator belt broke down and maybe the water pump, what is fair price to repair?

Hello,



I have a Kia Spectra, 4 doors, automatic, 1.8, 2002, 64000 miles, and the alternator belt just broke. It seems that there is a chance that the water pump was lost on the process.



I looked on line and to buy from the dealership, these pieces together would cost me around $70.



What would it be a fair price for the service? (thinking that I was unlucky enough to lose the water pump?



How do I know if my water pump is good and they are only changing it to make me spend more money???



I am a girl (foreign student), and don't understand of car, or know any repair shop that could take care of that...



Thanks!!!My alternator belt broke down and maybe the water pump, what is fair price to repair?Changing a water pump is usually costly because it can be time consuming. Having the belt on your car break should not cause your water pump to go out, but having your water pump go out could cause your belt to break. A way to check your water pump would be to make sure that the pully spins freely but that it does not wobble or have extra play. Another sign that your water pump is going bad is when it begins to leak. This means that the seals are bad, and that water can now get into the bearings causing them to degrade and eventually seize up.My alternator belt broke down and maybe the water pump, what is fair price to repair?Most shops are going to charge 2 hours labor to change the water pump, so if their labor rate is $55/hr, you will be looking at $110+ the cost of the belt %26amp; water pump and coolant. Knowing that information, probably $225 would be a normal charge.Good Luck.